Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Consistency, Consistency, Consistency...

So for months now I have been trying to get back into some sort of consistency when it comes to exercise.  I did wonderful with this the whole first part of the year, but then summer hit and everything went out the window.  I've been trying to pick up the pieces of my exercise routine ever since.  The thing is, exercise is hard ya'll (anyone who tells you it isn't is LYING to you!).  Sure it has it's benefits and of course, when it's over, I am so glad that I did it.  But in general, in the moment I really don't want to do it.  I think about my sore muscles and I think about how tired I am...and then the lazy voice inside of me tells me I can do it tomorrow (which incase you didn't know, tomorrow NEVER comes) and I back out of it for one more day.
  I know exercising is one of the healthiest things I can do for my body.  I know all the benefits that come from it...not only a healthier body but also a much healthier mind... but, man, it's so hard some days to actually move beyond the idea of doing something good for myself, and to actually just do it (I feel like I need to say, "Copyright Nike" there, for that one!).  Why is it that it's so easy for us as people to know what's best for us and yet do the complete opposite?!  Whether it's knowing we should go to bed because we have a long day tomorrow, but choosing to stay up until the wee hours of the morning to watch Netflix, or knowing we should stay up to work on a project, but decide to go to bed early...doing the "responsible thing" never is the easy choice.
   Truth be told, I think like muscles that grow stronger the more we work them out, self-discipline is also something we can also build up in ourselves.  The more we say yes to doing hard things, the easier it becomes to just do them!  Consistency is where it's at people!  So that's my goal.... to be consistent.  Instead of beating myself up for not working out hours a day, every day of the week, I'm just shooting for being consistent with doing 30 minutes of movement (whether a workout video, a walk, basketball, dancing, etc.) every day.  Today was day one....I'll try to check back in next week to let you all know how it's going.  But in the mean time, why don't you pick something that's hard for you to do...whether it's reading your bible, talking with your parents/siblings/kids, or working on some other kind of hustle...and make a commitment to be consistent to it this week!  Then check back in next week and let me know how you did!  There's strength in numbers right?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment