Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Truth About Lies...

  I think two signs of a good book is that it makes you think and that it sticks with you long after you turn the last page.  I am sure those aren't the only two criterion I use, but they're at least two that are pretty high up on the list of importance...at least for me.  With that being said, I have to admit, I was a bit/half disappointed by Tim Chaddick's new book "The Truth about Lies: The Unlikely Role of Temptation in who you will Become".
  Now, personally I am a huge fan of pastor Chaddick.  As a missionary on a field where going to church is usually replaced by serving at church, I spend many a Sunday afternoon (or even other days of the week) listening to podcasts from his Reality LA church services.  I like his teaching style.  I like how he intertwines scripture and God truth with real life and every day situations.  Unfortunately, because I am such an avid fan, many of the "lessons" in this book, I had previously heard before from Pastor Chaddick ...in fact, I could even hear his voice in my head reading them to me! (not that a review of those lessons is a bad thing, cause it's not, it's just I guess I kind of assumed that the book would be new material, not just sermon notes complied together...and maybe that's just my bad).
   The other sad truth is, even though I just finished the book last night, and as I was reading it I was  thinking, "Yes that speaks right to my heart about this issue or that issue", sitting down this evening to write a review, I can't think of much that stands out to me anymore.  The book just didn't stick with me as much as I thought it would.  And, to be honest, maybe that's more a reflection of my heart than the authors, but it feeds my disappointment none the less.
  But now let's get to what I did like about the book.... I loved that it really made me think about my own situations and about my own heart.  I might not be able to quote passages or ideas from the book that really stood out to me, but I can say that by reading it, I was encouraged to look deep into my own self....into my heart attitudes and where things have gotten a little off... and to allow God the space to begin moving there.
  My journal is now filled with entry after entry from this week, where I talked to God about what root issues might be going on in my heart and my acknowledgement that often times I seek gain for myself instead of seeking after Him.  I even started noticing how much my pride and self-centeredness is wrapped up in my need to have approval and acceptance from people, instead of seeking that approval and acceptance from the source, which is Christ Jesus.
  So, would I say this book would be at the top of my recommended reading list for 2015?  Probably not, but it would still make the list.  My one encouragement would be to read it with a journal handy and to allow God to interrupt your reading to speak to your heart and point things out to you!  I guarantee He will... and maybe that's Pastor Chaddick's desire all along in writing this book....that we would be drawn closer to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment