Friday, August 21, 2015

Living on a Firm Foundation

 For the past several days now, I have been working my way through the first several chapters of the book of John. I know the Bible is the story of God and the Gospels are really the story of Jesus, but personally I have been so encouraged and challenged by the life of John the Baptist that I just can't seem to let it go. 
  Here's a guy who lives out in the desert, doesn't seem to have much of a fashion sense, and who must have been pretty controversial considering he had his own disciples but clearly didn't live by the social norms of the society, yet none of this and nobody seemed to affect him. John the Baptist knew who He was and who he wasn't. And he didn't try to be something more than he was. He was satisfied and content with his place in the world, and nothing could shake him.
  In the 1st chapter of John, John clearly states that he is not the messiah, that he is just there to prepare the way for the messiah.  He even goes as far as to point out exactly who the messiah is. Then in chapter three when his disciples get all grumpy cause more people are following after Jesus instead of John and them, John's like, "look guys, I told you, I am not the messiah....He is. I must become less, He must be greater"! That is amazing to me!
  We live in a world where everyone is always trying to stake their claim in the fame game. Everything is a popularity contest and the outcome of such things apparently points in some way to your self-worth (at least we act like it does)! But what if we all decided to stop playing along? What if instead we all just walked out in the confidence of who we are and what we are called to do?  I bet there would be a lot less fighting and whole bunch more encouraging that went on in our worlds!
  Of course to get there, we all have to start from the place of knowing who we are...and that's a huge issue in our society.  It seems like nobody really knows who they are anymore....either that or nobody is really ready to accept themselves for that person.  Why is that?  Why can't we just be happy and content and confident, like the John the Baptist was?
  I think it has to do with where the source of our identity comes from.  In fact I think majority of the world is unsure about who they are because we're all looking to other people to tell us...and well, people's opinions change daily.  I've been talking about it over and over again this month....probably cause I need to keep hearing this over and over again...but it's only when our identity is found in Jesus Christ (And in God the Father), can we really begin to live in the freedom and confidence that John the Baptist did!  When we are firmly planted in who we are in Him, it no longer matters what other people say or what other people think.  We know who we are, we know what we are called to do and nothing can shake us!  That's where I want to live! Don't you?!

No comments:

Post a Comment