Monday, April 6, 2015

Lessons Learned from Cultural Differences....

  This past weekend was Easter, but for me it was certainly an Easter unlike any I've had before.  I come from a culture that celebrates mostly Resurrection Sunday.  While my home church reserves a retreat center for people who want to get away with God on Good Friday, it's Sunday that we have our service and community breakfast to celebrate. Also, In my family, while my father's side of the family use to go Saturday night to have there Easter baskets blessed, it's Sunday that we have a family dinner and time of celebration.  However, in the community where I am currently living, Good Friday is what's really celebrated.
  This past Friday the catholic church set up stations of the cross around the community and a crowd of people walked from station to station where they prayed in front of re-enacted scenes from the Bible. Then both Christian churches in our village had Good Friday services.  My church here even had a community meal to celebrate.  On Sunday however, it was just like any other normal day.  No big celebration, not fancy outfits, and definitely not baskets!
  I shared on my missions Facebook book page yesterday, that this difference in cultures has really helped me to see the importance of both sides of the holiday.  The reality is, we really can't have one without the other.  For if Jesus hadn't gone to the cross for our sins, then we would still be lost in our sins.  But if He never resurrected than all hope would be lost.  Both parts of the story matter... both sides need to be remembered.
  I guess that's one of the good things about living in such a different culture.  I'm learning to see things from a different perspective and, in a way, more deeply.  It's not always easy to understand the differences I am experiencing, but when I opening myself up to them, there is always something new I learn.  So here's to learning, to growing and to new experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment