Sunday, November 10, 2019

The Hazards of Cough Medicine...

  Every year, when the fall starts rolling in, I get a cough.  Unfortunately, said cough usually lasts until February or mid-March, and it's absolutely annoying.  Not only that, but My cough likes to play this little game with me where it gets my hopes up by almost disappearing and then comes right back with a vengeance.  For the past week, I have been in the blissful state of believing that my cough was finally going away.  For the first time in weeks, I could make it through reading an entire picture book to my class without on cough interrupting it...and it was glorious.  Then my dad got sick, and before I knew it...my cough started coming back. Last night my cough got so bad that I just could not sleep and was reduced to drugging myself with Delysum around 2am in the morning.  Of course, what I didn't know at the time was that in some rare cases Delysum can cause nightmares.  And who would have thought I would be one of those rare cases!
   I ended up having this horrible dream where these drug dealers set up these checkpoints all around my neighborhood where they tried to convince people to stop by saying they needed help.  Then when people stopped they overdosed them by throwing some powdery drug all over them, and then stole all their cash.  In my dream, I saw this happen to the car in front of me and determined that I would not be duped when I drove by the checkpoint.  Of course, I wasn't expecting a second checkpoint, nor was I expecting the guys behind this to be so aggressive.  While I tried to drive past the second checkpoint, one of the guys there started yanking down my driver's side window and hung from it while I started driving away.  Then somehow...cause you know, dreams....he was able to grab some filmy paper from his friend and tried to wipe it on my face through the window.  I was quick on my feet though and threw it back at him, which caused the guy to start foaming from the mouth and convulsing.  He fell from my car window and one of his friends ran to help him, but dropped a whole bag of the powdery drug all over him, causing them both to begin seizing and foaming at the mouth even more.  This gave me time to get away, or so I thought.
  Instead, the rest of the guys in the group jumped into their car and started chasing me, and contrary to what I always think I will do if I am ever being followed, I led them straight to my house!  Once I got home, I ran inside and locked all the doors and windows.  I even push one of our couches in front of one of the doors because I was afraid it wasn't secure enough.  Then I called for my parents to run upstairs and hide because I could hear the men running around the house trying to find a way in and I knew it was only a matter of time before they were successful.  
  For some reason, my father hid in the bathtub....which, why would anyone actually do that, but whatever!  The bad guys ended up entering the house through the cellar door and somehow knew to immediately go to the upstairs bathroom to find my father.  I saw them enter the bathroom and so I tried to stop them by banging one over the head with a metal rod on the floor... cause you know, we all keep random rods on the floor!  My attempt to attack the attackers failed miserably though, and they captured me, forcing me to watch while they started torturing my father by using scissors to cut small portions of skin off his toes.  
  Next thing I knew I was startling myself awake screaming "NO!" out loud!  It took me a good 15 minutes to calm myself down afterward and realize this was all, in fact, just a dream and I had nothing to worry about.  Moral of the story....read the fine print and find out the possible side effects of the medication before you take it, or risk having some crazy ass dreams that will keep you up half the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment