Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Unless the Lord Builds the House...

"I lift my eyes towards the heavens.  I tune my ears to your commands.
Help me boast in my condition.  You're the God and I'm the man." 
 
  I've been living on the "field" for the past seven months, but I only recently moved from the city to a smaller village up in the mountains.  Since moving it's become more and more clear to me just how much we can't do anything outside of the power of God and that it's only in coming to know Him more that our lives will have any impact on the world around us.  In fact, the truth of the matter is...it's all His work, we can do nothing.
  I moved to this country with great ideas about saving the world.  I had envisioned things going much differently than they have and I think a part of me truly believed that I could change hearts and minds for the gospel.  Since being in this village though, I have realized more and more that it's not me who does the work at all.  Only God can do that...if I allow Him to work through me.
  One of my teammates likes to quote the verse "Unless the Lord builds the house the builders build in vain" (Psalm 127:1).  It's a constant reminder to himself and our team that anything we do in our own strength, through our own abilities, with our own agenda, will not last.  We could pour out every last drop of ourselves into this community, but if it's not of God....if we are not listening to his voice and allowing his spirit to work through us...then none of it will matter in the end.
  That's a hard to truth to swallow....but it's truth none the less.  My human nature tells me to work hard and preform and give 110% because only then will things really be accomplished.  But Jesus himself said that the only work God wants from us is to believe in the one who has sent Him (John 6:29).  I don't believe Jesus was saying we shouldn't minister and be involved in outreach (if I did  then I might as well pack up my bags and go home).  But I do think that Jesus is pointing to a greater truth and that is that it's only in Him...in knowing Him...that we can ever truly make Him known.  Jesus has to flow in us and then He will flow out of us.  It's the only way. 
  The world doesn't need more of me...the world needs more of Him.  So instead of trying to force my own way and do things as I see fit...I think I'll just take my time to sit at the feet of Jesus and see what he has to say.  My glorious unfolding is His story to tell....I just get to live it out!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment